Monday, August 4, 2008

Flash Flood

When we were on our cross country trip to move here we kept seeing the road signes that said flash flood Areas in between Las Vegas and Twentynine Palms. You also see them on side roads and low lying areas. Well today I got to experience my first one, oh happy day(not). Very scary!!! Saturday I promised the kids we would go to the pool this week and yesterday I decided that Monday would probably be great, it looked cloudy on the mountains but I didn't think much of it. Plus it rains like once a month over here if that so I was thinking it very well may dry out by the time it reaches us. It did start to rain before we left but it looked clear tword base and once again i thought it may dry up lets give it a try. So we stopped at Subway and got lunch and headed on to base (big mistake). As soon as we get to the pool the lightning and thunder starts and poor Devin is devastated cause he couldn't get in. So we tracked back to the car and headed home. Well going against my gut instinct I took the back way. Well the end of the back way is straight up hill, so what does that mean, well sand doesn't absorb water when it comes down fast and hard, so before you go up hill you are down. I had water flying up on my windshield, dirty sand water, and i prayed and prayed God please just let me get threw this. My fan belt light kept coming on and I swear it seemed like a mile we had to drive in that water and when we finally got to the top they closed the road I needed to go on. Remember those pretty mountains I sent pictures of, well lots of water was rolling down them with lots of sand and that leaves a mess on the highway. So we sat there for about a half and hour. There were some daring people that were taking a little side road and they were getting thought fine from what I could see so I went for it. Scary, the whole road was tore up so i got threw that and then pulled over cause the water coming down the road I needed to cross was moving really fast. So I pulled over again and waited for someone else with a similar vehicle to make it across or for water to slow down. So after about 10 minutes I noticed some cars actually driving up that road so I crossed it and made my trek up to our house. Whew we made it safe and sound.

No comments: