Sunday, July 6, 2008

Fun filled (Extended) Weekend

Antonio got off around 2:00 pm on Wednesday so we have had an extended weekend. On Thursday we decided to skip homeschool group and hang with Dad. We went to the Joshua Tree National Park Visitors Center and browsed around. I am wanting to get some books that have pictures and information about the native wildlife and plants, I didn't really want to spend 20 bucks so i didn't get any. But they did have a cool coloring book of native plants and animals for $3.95 so we got that instead. Then we went to a local coffee shop next door and got some java and smoothies. It was a really cute place and I want to go back and get the Mediterranean platter. It looked so yummy, it had olives and some sort of lentil soup looking things and hummus and pitas, and stuffed grape leaves. I probably am not doing the poor plate any justice, i promise it did look really good. Then we went to the local health food store in search of wheat berries and yeah for me they carry them in bulk. I was excited. I had assumed no one really carried them around here and was going to order them online, but i found them for cheaper at that store and i don't have to wait. Later that night we all went to our first drive in movie, we saw Kung Fu Panda, which aside from the movie glorifying the pandas overweight problem (I am not putting down anyone who is overweight, I am in that boat, but I don't think it should be glorified either) it was a cute movie. It being our first drive in we were not really as prepared as some of the veteran drive in goers. Some people came equipped with air mattresses and pillows other had their folding chairs and some just pillows and blankets to lay in the back of their trucks with. We just sat in the front of our truck and watched, but the air mattress in the back with pillow looked like fun so we are going to try that next time.

On Friday morning I cant for the life of me remember what we did, but that night we of course went to the fire works. The base here really puts a lot of effort into family fun. They had jumpy houses and slides, a live band, and lots of local companies were giving away freebies. This event was open to the public so the food wasn't free, but I heard that normally when its just for military they just give the food away. The fireworks we awesome, the best I've seen as an adult, our church group met there together and we had lots of fun.

Saturday we got up bright and early and had a play date at the park with a lady i met at the commissary. It was a nice day not to hot only around 101 and there was a breeze that felt a little cooler. The kids had a great time, we brought bats and balls, soccer balls, and snacks and water. It was great. Then Saturday night we went to see Prince Caspian on base. We thought it was free but unfortunately we had to pay. I was so bummed cause it really broke our budget, he he he just kidding it was only a $1 per person and that included our drink. Like I said they have great stuff on base around here. Oh and the snack bar stuff was reasonably prices, we had our dinner there. The movie was pretty good, intense with more evil, but a really good movie. There was a kissing scene at the end, quick, but Ashlyn had noticed and had questions. Granted it was rated PG-13 but I thought that was for the violence. Anyways it was great, I do want to read all the books and I want to find out if Disney just added that part or if it was actually in there.

Whew my fingers are tired, so i shall go. As soon as i find our trip pictures i will post them and batteries are my list so hopefully soon there will be some pictures of the house.

No comments: